I exchanged my Canon D30 to 20D at 2005-03-15. The change
was done because of following reasons: better autofocus,
better ergonomics and better high ISO performance. Below
is my little comparison between D30 and 20D based on
actual usage not reading other reviews.
- Autofocus is much faster and more accurate.
- Ergonomics are much better, for example focus point
selecting joystick is very good.
- Build quality is better, camera feels much better
- High ISO performance is much better.
- 8Mpix is more than 3Mpix, but at my use when only
publishing photos to internet and printing always A4
size, this isn't very big benefit. Naturally slight
cropping can be done and still print at A4.
- Better battery life using same BP-511 batteries.
- File size is much larger, before my 1GB MicroDrive was
enough for half day travelling in nature but now it's full
in couple hours.
- Setting ISO value is much more difficult than in D30 [in
D30 you can set the button inside back command dial to
activate ISO adjustment, in 20D you have to press one of the
buttons in front of the top LCD-screen and I haven't yet
learned (= I will not learn never) to find that button without
moving my eye from viewfinder]
Dpreview 20D review
Luminous Landscape part 1
Luminous Landscape part 2
Luminous Landscape field test